2012: REALLY the end of the world, or not?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Eh? 2012: REALLY the end of the world, or not?

Post by Rapsheba555 on April 26th 2010, 3:56 am

I'm pretty sure most of you have heard about the ancient "prophecies" about the world ending in 2012. I'm not here to discuss how or why they say this, what I'm curious about is whether you think it is real, or a load of crap.

Personally, I think the sole reason that all these prophecies point to this one day (Dec 21, 2012) is that it will witness one of the rarest predictable cosmological events in Earth's history. This has no scientific significance beyond the fact that it's weird. I know the Catholic church has danced around calling it the second coming, but for the obvious reason that it may not be, they're holding off. Frankly, if there -is- a God, and if he -is- loving, I sincerely doubt he would rob almost 7 billion souls of the opportunity to finish out their lives. If he -did-, I would feel rather cheated. Heaven may be nice, but nowhere is anything said about it providing the opportunity to learn, create, or feel anything other than bliss. It'd be a cop-out, really, if I didn't get the chance to die naturally when my time came.

Scientifically, there's nothing to prove that anything will happen in 2012, but call me gullible if you will.

So, what do you think, and why?

"And thus, it is revealed that 99% of Nintendorks are closet perverts.
God I love this place."
-WhiteWaterWood

Rapsheba555
Weegee
Weegee

All operators are busy, please insert more money.

Veteran VIP Contest Honorable Mention Contest Winner
Live Chat Member
Trophies Won 2 Coins 33823

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Eh? Re: 2012: REALLY the end of the world, or not?

Post by Liz on April 26th 2010, 4:00 am

I call bullshit right now, and this pretty much explains what I believe.

The link is probably not appropriate for people under the age of 13.

Liz
Official Forum Bewbs
Official Forum Bewbs

Veteran VIP
Live Chat Member Submitted a Sims Upload
Trophies Won 0 Coins 14778

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ZimZ on April 26th 2010, 5:36 am

Well, it's the day the Mayan callendar ends.. but that's because someone probably died of old age and didn't end up passing the calendar on to another scribe to carry on? I dunno.. but I highly doubt the world will end.. in the past 100 years there's be like a prediction of the world ending nearly every 3 years.. I think it's bull shit.. but meh..

ZimZ
Lv18
Lv18

Sing? Sing a song of wanting to move along!

Veteran Contest Honorable Mention Contest Winner Challenge Participant

Trophies Won 1 Coins 4135

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz on April 26th 2010, 6:30 am

My theory is the Mayans just ran out of rock to write on.

Liz
Official Forum Bewbs
Official Forum Bewbs

Veteran VIP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vampire_of_Death on April 26th 2010, 7:33 am

I don;t believe the world is going to end, but I think something is going to happen. Maybe it's the second coming or maybe it will just rain really hard. The only reason I think the day has any significance is because so may different civilizations kinda came up with it, but I am a firm believer in chance, so maybe a coincidence?

Vampire_of_Death
Harlequin of Hate
Harlequin of Hate

Veteran VIP Contest Winner Challenge Participant Secret Ninja Participant
Live Chat Member
Trophies Won 4 Coins 12141

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghost on April 26th 2010, 4:15 pm

I'm not the first one to say this, but you do know what happened the last time the Mayan calendar ran out, don't you? They made a new one!

It's not going to be the time of the Second Coming, because too many people are expecting it. We are warned numerous times that no-one can predict when the Second Coming will happen, so we need to be ready all the time. Knowing several years in advance that it will happen on December 21, 2012 is hardly "like a thief in the night."

Ghost
Local Figment of the Imagination

Veteran VIP Contest Winner Challenge Participant
Created a Tutorial
Trophies Won 1 Coins 5675

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ZombieData on April 26th 2010, 4:45 pm

I don't think that anything deadly is goning to happen in 2012. I know that there is going to be mass suicides due to mass panic on the days following up to that day. The worst thing that might happen, is that there's going to be some sort of world-wide awaking. Like we discover something; or realize something. But that's the worst that could happen.

ZombieData
Emo Dude
Emo Dude

No, I am NOT going to go out with you.

Veteran VIP Contest Winner
Submitted a Sims Upload
Trophies Won 1 Coins 6151

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on April 26th 2010, 5:23 pm

*Believes in 2012 completely*
<_<
>_>
*Bricked*

Cass
Lv26
Lv26

Veteran
Live Chat Member
Trophies Won 0 Coins 10586

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rikachu on April 26th 2010, 7:22 pm

*bricks Cass.*

2012 is, simply: A theory. And that's all it is. The world may end, it may not. No one knows for sure. Just live your life, and if it happens, it happens. Oh well. Personally, I believe that 2012 is a load of bullshit.

Rikachu
The Hyper Tyger
The Hyper Tyger

Amanda please!

Veteran VIP Contest Honorable Mention
Live Chat Member Created a Tutorial
Trophies Won 0 Coins 3633

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Becca on April 27th 2010, 1:19 am

I personally think 2012 is just a load of shit.

I mean, yeah, it's obvious that our world is changing and something's got to be causing the mass of earthquakes and other natural disasters and strange weather patterns lately, they can't all be a coincidence, but I doubt whatever it is, is going to make the world end on December 21st, 2012. Oh, and because of time zones, December 21st isn't the same time everywhere, which screws up the whole thing that it will definitely be on the 21st.

And people have 'predicted' the end of the world before. It's not the first time... and obviously, the world hasn't ended yet.

Becca
Lv21
Lv21

Preheat your mother.

Contest Winner Challenge Participant
Live Chat Member
Trophies Won 0 Coins 2627

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ZimZ on April 27th 2010, 2:41 am

Maybe the world as we know it will end.. There could possibly be something someone discovers and changes our lives forever, e.g. someone finds a way to make something work without electricity/not needng to be plugged into the wall.. but I mean something big.. like.. hmm.. or they could make cars be able to go normaly without any petrol OR light power OR electricity... wait light powere, electricity.. umm I'm confusing myself now aheh.. well i hope u know what I mean ahaha

ZimZ
Lv18
Lv18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz on April 27th 2010, 6:26 am

Fergus, I actually really do strongly believe that, only I'm thinking larger scale of what you're thinking, like a war to end all wars (I don't mean WW1. It may have been called the War to End All Wars, but it obviously was not.), or a sudden world-wide epiphone.

Just my opinion, though.

Liz
Official Forum Bewbs
Official Forum Bewbs

Veteran VIP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ZimZ on May 2nd 2010, 10:41 pm

mm.. Well, I'm not entirely sure what will happen.. but hopefully there won't be another war.. there could be a sign from something.. I dunno, I'm not trying to be religious, I am muslim so I'm not saying Jesus will come back.. but maybe something supernatura will happen, perhaps a new mutated race of humans that are like Veelas will be released and will brainwash everyone.. I'm you're a potter geek and you've read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire you'll know what a Veela is.. lol

ZimZ
Lv18
Lv18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghost on May 3rd 2010, 7:48 am

There will be war, because we are human, and humans have wars. If you check the statistics on the years where there have been no wars anywhere over the last 4,000 years, we haven't got a good track record.

There will probably be a few terrorist attacks, just because some idiots won't be able to resist the symbolism of attacking on the day that people were expecting the end of the world.

There may be a natural disaster somewhere in the world. December is a good time for blizzards, and you can have earthquakes and volcanoes anytime.

There will be another panic similar to the Y2K panic, but more generalized. (which is starting now) You will start seeing suicides and cults get more common as it gets closer.

People will be expecting the world to end, so they will get rid of everything.
Then it doesn't end, and they end up having to start over.

And people will suddenly realize that they spent 3 years worrying about something that didn't happen, and didn't pay much attention to the 3 years that they were living in.

Ghost

Created a Tutorial

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vampire_of_Death on May 3rd 2010, 8:17 am

Ghost wrote:There will be war, because we are human, and humans have wars. If you check the statistics on the years where there have been no wars anywhere over the last 4,000 years, we haven't got a good track record.

There will probably be a few terrorist attacks, just because some idiots won't be able to resist the symbolism of attacking on the day that people were expecting the end of the world.

There may be a natural disaster somewhere in the world. December is a good time for blizzards, and you can have earthquakes and volcanoes anytime.

There will be another panic similar to the Y2K panic, but more generalized. (which is starting now) You will start seeing suicides and cults get more common as it gets closer.

People will be expecting the world to end, so they will get rid of everything.
Then it doesn't end, and they end up having to start over.

And people will suddenly realize that they spent 3 years worrying about something that didn't happen, and didn't pay much attention to the 3 years that they were living in.

^ This. Well put ghost, well put.

Vampire_of_Death
Harlequin of Hate
Harlequin of Hate

Veteran VIP Contest Winner Challenge Participant Secret Ninja Participant
Live Chat Member
Trophies Won 4 Coins 12141

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rapsheba555 on May 3rd 2010, 11:31 am

seconded.

God I love this place."
-WhiteWaterWood

Rapsheba555
Weegee
Weegee

Live Chat Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ZimZ on May 4th 2010, 4:33 am

thirdededed

ZimZ
Lv18
Lv18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by l0v3s0cK13 on March 2nd 2011, 11:01 am

Liz wrote:My theory is the Mayans just ran out of rock to write on.

Haha that's exactly what my dad said.

If you think about it, everyone thought the world was going to end in 2000, and it obviously didn't because we're all here. You said that the Catholic church has danced around calling it the second coming, and I don't know what you've hear, but what I know of what the catholic church has said, is that no one will know when Jesus comes.

On a more personal note, I believe the world has been ending since it was created. I don't think it will be just one day everything goes crazy and everyone dies.

l0v3s0cK13
Lv5
Lv5

Army Wife

Trophies Won 0 Coins 132

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rapsheba555 on March 2nd 2011, 12:25 pm

I find it amusing that the Catholic church wants to determine the second coming based on a pagan religion's calender. Not to mention that they determined their second-most-important holiday based on another pagan holiday.

God I love this place."
-WhiteWaterWood

Rapsheba555
Weegee
Weegee

Live Chat Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by l0v3s0cK13 on March 2nd 2011, 4:57 pm

Nobodies perfect.

l0v3s0cK13
Lv5
Lv5

Army Wife

Trophies Won 0 Coins 132

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GuardStud08 on March 2nd 2011, 9:07 pm

Let me just say, I do not fully believe in it however there are times when I think about it and tend to believe it. I hope it isn't going to happen because if it does, I'd have wasted 13 years in school for nothing lol

GuardStud08
The Cogs Hope
The Cogs Hope

"This is all going so well"

Veteran VIP Contest Winner
Live Chat Member
Trophies Won 0 Coins 22390

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparkle on April 19th 2011, 7:18 pm

Didn't people say the world was going to end in 2000 or all the electronic stuff would explode or whatever? It never actually happened. Some people are such pessimists.

Sparkle
Lv6
Lv6

C is for cookie, and that's good enough for me!

Challenge Participant Secret Ninja Participant
Live Chat Member
Trophies Won 0 Coins 275

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghost on April 22nd 2011, 6:43 pm

The Catholic church stole Christmas and Easter from other religions, because they were converting them, but all their friends were having a party around that time. It's a lot easier to convert people if you don't take their parties away. This is also what eggs and rabbits have to do with Easter... They were "borrowed"

(Personally, I think it's time to return them now, but that's just me.)

Y2K was a real glitch, due to human error. In 1980, computer memory was limited, and IBM realized that it was a lot easier on the memory if dates were hardcoded to always start wtih "19". After all, in 20 years there would be better computers and better software, so nobody would be affected, right? This was important. Read about Extended memory, Expanded Memory, and Base RAM to fully understand why you would want as much of that lower 640k of memory kept clear.
(That was a really STUPID setup! You had to explain to your computer that it had extra memory, what kind it was, and how to use it. You couldn't just add an extra memory stick and watch it work.)

But businesses didn't want to completely redo their entire database, nor throw out a perfectly good computer, so suddenly they realized that in 3 more years they would have dates from the 1900s instead of the 2000's. They had to upgrade after all. There was also the secondary problem that any year ending in 0 is not a leap year unless it is divisible by 400. "unless it is divisible by 400" doesn't matter most of the time, so that was left out of the original hardcoding. 2000 was divisible by 400, and qualified as a leap year. There were a few places where there were two "March 1" or "February 28" because of the secondary Y2K glitch.

So yes, Y2K did happen. But it wasn't the disaster that it could have been, thanks to programmers and computer manufacturers working hard to make sure that all important systems were updated.

(Although there was one military set of computers that happily said "Welcome to Jan 1, 19100, so it wasn't a flawless transition.)

The Bible is very clear that the world will end at a time you do not know. So if you have a date, you can be sure it will not happen then. It might be earlier, it might be later, but giving a date is not coming "as a thief in the night."

Ghost

Created a Tutorial

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteWaterWood on April 28th 2011, 12:15 am

It better be. I have a bet going that if we all die, I get 3 thousand dollars. I shall be a rich woman! >: D

Wait.... Something seems off.

WhiteWaterWood
Queen of the Dorks
Queen of the Dorks

Hallo moto

Veteran VIP Contest Winner Secret Ninja Participant
Live Chat Member
Trophies Won 2 Coins 5249

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top