So I may have just had something go wrong with my heart...

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: So I may have just had something go wrong with my heart...

Post by WhiteWaterWood on December 3rd 2009, 12:49 pm

Why is everyone eating my food? *looks around* And why is the official NI mini-fridge empty?

"Beer has by some estimates been around for 20,000 years. It was commonly believed that bread was the first grain based food that humans consumed, but many anthropologists now believe it may have been beer. While making bread is a relatively complicated process, beer can be made by exposing wet wheat to yeast and allowing it to ferment. There is no evidence that ancient beer was any less potent than what we have today, and since beers are usually around 3.5-5.5%, there's not much alcohol to even remove. In fact, by ingredients alone, to make a less potent beer you'd have to find a way to remove the alcohol before consumption. Basically a reverse distillation which almostly undoubtedly did not take place."

Good facts, but often beer was added to the water for children instead of drinking it straight. The beer was to kill the germs in the water. Of course, it depends where and when the children lived. In Asia they added it to more water, but in Europe they did drink it straight. And in between and so on. Keep in mind that they couldn't have JUST drunk straight beer because it wasn't possible. Alcohol decreases your ability to retain water. So it might rapidly rehydrate you, but your body will even more rapidly deplete your water supply to metabolize the alcohol. In other words, they would have been more thirsty than before, had the alcohol content been the same as it was today. So it wasn't possible.

"Wine has much less alcohol in it than what? Beer? No ma'am. The average beer is anywhere from 3.5-5.5& alcohol by volume. Wine is on average 11-13%. Liquor ranges from as little as 20%-98%. That's why in high school D.A.R.E. they always said a 12 oz beer is equal to an 8 oz glass of wine or a 1.5 oz shot of liquor."

Aw F***. You're right. Point for you.

"Addiction has nothing to do with age. Your body is just as susceptible to chemical dependancy at any age. Not to mention genetic disposition to addiction, your point is entirely false."
Ignoring the genetic disposition towards alcohol addiction, which is true, addiction does have to do with age. You can't ignore the facts. Teens who begin drinking before age 15 are five times more likely to develop alcohol dependence than those who begin drinking at age 21. Because the brain is still developing, it makes the child more prone to addiction of alcohol and other drugs.

"If you think the point of alcoholic beverages today is to get drunk/buzzed you're retarded. Why would people pour countless hours, infinite energy and millions of dollars into creating new, different and better beers, wines and liquors if they all just serve the same purpose? Why pay $10 for a 22oz bottle of Omegang Hennepin when you can get 22 oz of Natural Light for less than a dollar? You're basically saying all booze is the same, which is just as ignorant as saying all music is the same, all movies are the same, and all video games are the same."

Oh yeeeees. I'm guessing the drunk students barfing in the hallways of college are most certainly connoisseurs of the taste. Sure, you get some people who are really into the taste and the price and the varieties, but can you really kid yourself that they would be the slightest bit interested if they couldn't get drunk off it?

WhiteWaterWood
Queen of the Dorks
Queen of the Dorks

Hallo moto

Veteran VIP Contest Winner Secret Ninja Participant
Live Chat Member
Trophies Won 2 Coins 5249

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vampire_of_Death on December 3rd 2009, 12:55 pm

See? Very well thought out. Oh and extra points for not using the word retarded or insulting you in anyway.

And I can attest to the college drunkards. My neighbors come home smashed every night, loud as hell, but taste really means nothing, as long as it is alcoholic.

Vampire_of_Death
Harlequin of Hate
Harlequin of Hate

Veteran VIP Contest Winner Challenge Participant Secret Ninja Participant
Live Chat Member
Trophies Won 4 Coins 12141

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteWaterWood on December 3rd 2009, 1:43 pm

Thanks Vampy. ^.^ The idea of getting drunk scares me, I'll admit it. To not be in control of yourself... the idea makes me nervous. By the way Vampy, hand me that popcorn. *steals Vampy's food on munches on it* And get on chat too! I wanna talk to yooooou! :P

WhiteWaterWood
Queen of the Dorks
Queen of the Dorks

Hallo moto

Live Chat Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ZeldasBoyfriend on December 3rd 2009, 2:27 pm

Are you people all twelve? The effects of ethanol on the human body are well documented. Not only that, but you can go out right now, and see these effects in real life. You do not "lose control" of yourself; your judgment is obviously impaired, and your senses dulled, but it does not turn a straight-edge well-adjusted adult into a raging psychopath, or whatever invalid image you have of it.

And how well thought out is a post when you're simply regurgitating factoids from the internet, and failing to cite sources? Whenever WhiteWaterWood is disproven, she comes up with more nonsense to mislead the ill-informed, which seem to be congregating in this thread.

A single glass of beer melting your liver? Are you joking? Well thank god nobody important ever touched the stuff, or where would we be now?

And kids abuse alcohol because they are kids, and just about everything they do is stupid.

And because a small number of college students use alcohol to get wasted, you can use this to invalidate hobbies, careers, recreation and palates based around wine, beer, and other spirits that span thousands of years? High school kids use coricidin to get high. Obviously that means nobody else uses it to cure a damned cold. Nobody would use spraypaint if it couldn't get you high, I suppose?

Maybe if you used a few brain cells to produce thought instead of cut-pasting anti-alcohol propaganda, you could come up with a half-hearted opinion of your own, but try living in the real world for a bit before trying anything that could hurt yourself.

ZeldasBoyfriend
Lv4
Lv4

Trophies Won 0 Coins 82

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rapsheba555 on December 3rd 2009, 3:36 pm

*dodges bullets like a cartoon character*

"And thus, it is revealed that 99% of Nintendorks are closet perverts.
God I love this place."
-WhiteWaterWood

Rapsheba555
Weegee
Weegee

All operators are busy, please insert more money.

Veteran VIP Contest Honorable Mention Contest Winner
Live Chat Member
Trophies Won 2 Coins 33823

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghost on December 3rd 2009, 4:27 pm

Hey, I missed the part where she said a single glass of beer caused liver cirrhosis? I do know that it takes a lot more than that, but the earlier you start drinking the more likely you are to end up with a problem. And just to have a source to link alcohol to liver cirrhosis: http://www.medicinenet.com/cirrhosis/page3.htm#tocf

And some people are more vulnerable than others.

Ghost
Local Figment of the Imagination
Local Figment of the Imagination

Veteran VIP Contest Winner Challenge Participant
Created a Tutorial
Trophies Won 1 Coins 5675

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ZeldasBoyfriend on December 3rd 2009, 5:04 pm

WhiteWaterWood wrote:
FICTION: Wine has much less alcohol in it and the grapes are part of the health benefit. Beer could do this, in theory, in tiny tiny amounts, but an entire glass would just melt your liver.

Every person is different of course, so some people can drink more without damaging themselves. But Cirrhosis is caused by binge drinking, not by a lifetime of light drinking. Basically the liver is forced to work so hard at metabolizing the alcohol, that it neglects other things needed for it's (and the rest of the body's) proper functioning.

Like I said, these are all well known facts, and people would just do some real research, they wouldn't be throwing around false information as truth.

ZeldasBoyfriend
Lv4
Lv4

Trophies Won 0 Coins 82

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteWaterWood on December 3rd 2009, 6:12 pm

90% of crimes are committed while people drunk or high. So all evidence points to the fact that yes, it does turn you into a moron at best, psychopath at worst. As for not citing sources, what do you think this is, a history paper? I suppose you want books cited and the date they were published too. Also, even if sources were sites, haven't you ever heard the phrase 'you can't believe everything you read?' Books contradict books all the time as information changes and updating.

For example, the site you gave:
http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/alcoholandhealth.html
It's a pro-alchohol site. It attempts to act like it's not biased, but it's painfully obvious which side wrote it. For example, also found on this site is the following:

"The moderate consumption of alcohol does not destroy brain cells. In fact it is often associated with improved cognitive (mental) functioning."
Improved mental functioning? Have you ever met a drunk? Although drinking does not kill brain cells, it does destroy the neural pathways in your brain. That hurts your ability to think, reason, and even walk straight. Over time, neural pathways are rebuilt, but it takes much longer than just the time is takes to become sober. Either way, you are destroying part of your brain, and I would not recommend that.

I would also like to point out that an ability to speak in complete sentences and call people names does not magically make your arguments valid. In the future, I would suggest finding less biased sites to reference.

WhiteWaterWood
Queen of the Dorks
Queen of the Dorks

Hallo moto

Live Chat Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ZeldasBoyfriend on December 3rd 2009, 7:03 pm

80% of all statistics are made up on the spot, WWW.

Does it make life easier for you, ignoring the truth to suit your own fantasy of what life is? How much longer do you think you can get away with that?

ZeldasBoyfriend
Lv4
Lv4

Trophies Won 0 Coins 82

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vampire_of_Death on December 3rd 2009, 7:11 pm

ZeldasBoyfriend wrote:80% of all statistics are made up on the spot, WWW.

Does it make life easier for you, ignoring the truth to suit your own fantasy of what life is? How much longer do you think you can get away with that?

I thought we we're talking about alcoholism, no critizing each other. Which, I have to say, a brilliant rebuttal.80% huh? I take you stats are included in that? Where is your source on that one?

Vampire_of_Death
Harlequin of Hate
Harlequin of Hate

Live Chat Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wario's Bulbous Nose on December 3rd 2009, 8:00 pm

Vampire_of_Death wrote:I thought we we're talking about alcoholism, no critizing each other. Which, I have to say, a brilliant rebuttal.80% huh? I take you stats are included in that? Where is your source on that one?

Seriously? SERIOUSLY? Do you not see sarcasm when it's thrust upon your face? Shocked

Wario's Bulbous Nose
Lv7
Lv7

Contest Honorable Mention

Trophies Won 0 Coins 1225

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vampire_of_Death on December 3rd 2009, 8:03 pm

What the 80% thing? I saw it, that is why I questioned it. I thought we were having a serious disscussion, not throwing child like comments into the mix when we run out of reasonable things to say.

I swear, it like talking to a three year old. I ran out thing to say so niner niner niner.

Vampire_of_Death
Harlequin of Hate
Harlequin of Hate

Live Chat Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteWaterWood on December 3rd 2009, 8:31 pm

I'll wait until you come up with a response that isn't 'OMG I'M RIGHT BECAUSE I SAID SO!' In the mean time, try to avoid melting your liver with, as you so kindly pointed out, more than one drink. Rolling Eyes

WhiteWaterWood
Queen of the Dorks
Queen of the Dorks

Hallo moto

Live Chat Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LandLineGuy on December 3rd 2009, 8:50 pm

At the risk of getting caught up in this battle, I will have to agree with You're In. Yes there are people who abuse it, and yes it can lower your inhibitions so you do stupid things, and yes it can be unhealthy for you if you abuse it.

But, you are acting like if you have 1 beer you turn into some crazed maniac with a bloated liver that is about to fail. Like anything in moderation in has it benefits for the body and the mind. I myself enjoy the taste of a good IPA(India Pale Ale) after a long day at work. I am not looking to get drink, but having a couple really helps you unwind. Plus I generally enjoy the complex flavors of a finely crafted brew.

Sure some people take it too far and can't function without 12 Natty Ice's or a couple of 22's of Joose a night, but don't demonize beer and other alcohol because of the action of a few ignorant frat boys who couldn't appreciate a good beer if it slapped them in their pink popped collar.

LandLineGuy
Lv5
Lv5

Trophies Won 0 Coins 188

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vampire_of_Death on December 3rd 2009, 8:59 pm

Like we said above, not everyone abuses it, thats what makes you an alcoholic or not or just plain stupid.

And since everyone is bringing it up, the liver in a glass of beer should be taken literally. Meaning, if you take a hunk of liver and plop it into a berr with average alcohol content, it will breakdown. I have done it for a Bio class. It takes a while, but it is in fact true.

No one said one beer would make you blah blah blah, but how many people honestly stop at one. You yourself said a couple, not one.

So moral of this arguement: Just because you want it to be true doesnt make it true.

Vampire_of_Death
Harlequin of Hate
Harlequin of Hate

Live Chat Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wario's Bulbous Nose on December 3rd 2009, 9:01 pm

And a glass of Coke can dissolve the rust on a bumper, what's your point?

Wario's Bulbous Nose
Lv7
Lv7

Contest Honorable Mention

Trophies Won 0 Coins 1225

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vampire_of_Death on December 3rd 2009, 9:07 pm

Rust on a bumper is not in your body, let alone what filters the glass of coke. Plus, I was just stating a fact.

Vampire_of_Death
Harlequin of Hate
Harlequin of Hate

Live Chat Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LandLineGuy on December 3rd 2009, 9:12 pm

Oh my, you do realize that when drinking a beer your whole liver doesn't become saturated in alcohol correct? Also, a liver out of the body is basically not functional and will not be able to process the alcohol that is being absorbed, which is basically a major function of the liver. In a healthy human the liver can process the equivalent of 4 beers worth of alcohol a night with minimal damage to itself.

Again you are equating a casual drinker of beer with a full blown alcoholic. There is absolutely no physical damage you will do to yourself by have a few beers a night, in fact it is proven(as I said before) that a few drinks a night is beneficial to the cardiovascular system. And it isn't just wine, any sort of alcohol is good.

LandLineGuy
Lv5
Lv5

Trophies Won 0 Coins 188

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteWaterWood on December 3rd 2009, 9:27 pm

Actually, I agree with LandLineGuy. In moderation it could help. Also, one glass cannot, of course, really melt your liver. (I was kidding, kay? Wink ) It's when people actually start getting drunk that it becomes a problem. Too much beer will not automatically destroy your liver, but over time it will cause serious problems. The body recognizes alcohol as a poison and filters it through the liver. In small amounts it's fine, but when you have large amounts over long periods of time, that's too much 'poison' for your body to handle and your liver gives out. For people like LandLineGuy, who, if I'm not wrong, only drink in moderation and actually enjoy the taste, it wouldn't be a problem. It's when people get drunk that I consider alcohol to be a huge problem. Drunk drivers, drunk fights, date rape drinks, and other things wouldn't happen if people could just control themselves. Yes, those things can happen when people aren't drunk, but one can deny that it happens way more often when people are drunk.

WhiteWaterWood
Queen of the Dorks
Queen of the Dorks

Hallo moto

Live Chat Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by You're In! on December 3rd 2009, 11:59 pm

im glad I got drunk before reading this thread because it was the only way to make WhiteWaterWood sound like she has any reasonable points

You're In!
Banned
Banned

Trophies Won 0 Coins 551

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by You're In! on December 4th 2009, 12:00 am

p.s. even when drunk i can drop knowledge on you suckas that'll make your head spin

cuz alcohol is awesome

You're In!
Banned
Banned

Trophies Won 0 Coins 551

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vampire_of_Death on December 4th 2009, 12:08 am

So, here, you have just proved a point about alcoholism. You just drank to get drunk. Yea, I bet you did it because it tasted good.

Oh, and again with the I have nothing more to say so niner niner niner. Then soon, you will run out of insults/"witty & intelligent" comebacks/knowledge(on you suckas)

So, I wanna hear this Knowledge, cuz cuz alcohol is awesome. Dumbass

Vampire_of_Death
Harlequin of Hate
Harlequin of Hate

Live Chat Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Newsies on December 4th 2009, 10:30 am

Alcohol makes people stupider? False.

And before anyone says "This is a comic, its supposed to be a joke" refute the fact that my friends and I did our best coding under the influence, getting multiple A's in classes where if we attempted the assignments sober there would be no way we'd figure it out.

Newsies
Lv5
Lv5

Trophies Won 0 Coins 163

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vampire_of_Death on December 4th 2009, 10:41 am

You apparently are under the influnece now.
Alcohol is a depressant, meaning it depresses the neverous system, which means it depresses judgement skills which means.....you're an idiot.

Last edited by Vampire_of_Death on December 4th 2009, 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Vampire_of_Death
Harlequin of Hate
Harlequin of Hate

Live Chat Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Newsies on December 4th 2009, 1:41 pm

I'm at work, if I were drinking right now that would be very irresponsible of me. You can't argue with facts. My friends and I would drink before doing coding assignments in college. We were better coders when we were tipsy. Obviously we couldn't drink to the point of super drunk because then how could we type? But I'm definitely better at coding slightly buzzed.

Musicians also have stated that they play better with a couple beers in them. Alcohol loosens you up, lowers your inhibitions, you do things you might not normally do. These things are not always bad things. These things might help you rock out more. I know I play Rock Band better when I'm buzzed too. You don't concentrate as hard and it just comes more naturally to you.

Overthinking shit is bad for you, sometimes you just have to let fly with your intuition and instincts. Like when Luke turned off his targetting computer and used the force to blow up the Death Star. Alcohol is turning off the targetting computer in your brain.

Newsies
Lv5
Lv5

Trophies Won 0 Coins 163

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top